Saturday, November 21, 2009

Black Eye Peas Recipe

Just cooked up another pot of black-eyed peas.  It is so simple.

All you need is

1/4 lb bacon
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
salt
pepper
16 oz fresh black eyed peas (hopefully from your garden)
water

Cut your bacon into small 1" chunks.  In the same pot you plan on cooking the peas (I like to use my enameled cast iron), cook the bacon until crispy on Medium heat.  Chop onions and garlic.  Add them to the bacon in pot.  Cook until onions are transparent.  Add the peas.  Cover the peas with water (about an inch above the peas).  Salt and pepper like you like it, lower heat to simmer and cover.

I like my peas a little on the firm side which takes about an hour.  If you like them softer, then cook them until they're soft enough for you.  Just keep testing them.  I promise you will never want one of those dry peas again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment