Monday, March 26, 2012

Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels




Back when I was pretty much nothing short of a mall-rat give or take a few years in the maturity department at the ripe age of 26, one of my favorite things about the mall was the soft pretzels.  I think I used the excuse that I was sharing it with my daughter, so the impact they had on my hips (never mind my health) was somehow lessened...as if a nine-month-old made that much of a dent in my caloric intake.

I still get hit with an occasional craving for one of those warm, melt in your mouth delights, and this recipe is just the thing to satisfy.  The kids love them in their lunches too!!  Throw in a veggie and some good, raw cheese and they are on cloud nine thinking they got something extra special for the day.

WHOLE WHEAT SOFT PRETZEL RECIPE

  • 1 1/8 cups Water (70 to 80 degrees F)
  • 3 cups Whole White Wheat Flour (fresh milled, organic if you have access)
  • 3 tablespoons Honey (raw and local)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
  • 2 quarts Water
  • 1/2 cup Baking soda
  • 4 tablespoons Butter, melted (organic)
  • Coarse Sea Salt
Preheat oven to 425

Mix together first four ingredients.  Knead for 10 minutes (by hand or can use dough hook on stand 
mixer).

     

Let rise until double in size.



Turn dough out onto a floured surface.


Divide dough into eight balls.  Roll each into a 20-in. rope; 


Form into pretzel shape




In a saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil.   Drop pretzels into boiling water, one at a time; boil for 10-15 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. 

Place pretzels on greased baking sheets or a wired rack over a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. 



Lightly brush with butter. Sprinkle with salt.  Enjoy!!


Happy Monday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment