Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Co-op Delivery Day

Wow...what an adventure!!  We left the house with a practically empty pantry this morning, and as I type, that thing is packed to the max!  I am so mad I didn't take a pic of the pile of food we brought into the house or the whole process!  I got all wrapped up in the excitement and totally forgot!!

I made the "announcement" last week that I finally got over my change-aphobia and took the plunge to join the local United Natural Foods Co-op.  I am SO glad we did!!  Our first order was due two days after we signed up...talk about just jumping right in.   We ordered Thursday, and the hubby and I dropped the girls off this morning and headed straight to the drop-off location.  The semi-truck pulled up about 10 minutes after us and off to work we went.

Little man had a blast watching the driver maneuver the forklift to unload all the cases off the truck.  I'm not going to lie...I learned a thing or two myself.  Box after box was moved into the church, checked in, and sorted.  I still can't believe how fast the whole thing went!

We journeyed into a whole new adventure for us today, met a bunch of great people and, the most exciting part of the day,...walking into my house with 38 pounds of organic produce for $42!!!

Happy, happy Tuesday!! 

2 comments:

  1. I want to see a pic of what kind of stuff you got!! :) Also, is there more than one drop off. I'd love to hear your details! I was in an organic produce co-op a few years ago and when I got my stuff, it was all SUPER ripe and generally stuff we didn't eat. I had to cancel it after just a few months. I mean seriously, one order was a ton of beets and random other root veggies that I had to puree and mix in stuff to hide. We eat A LOT of different veggies and such, but I had a hard time with this specific co-op. And we still need to get together! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I am a picture slacker!!! :) The cool thing about this co-op is you get to order whatever you want. This week was a small order for us produce wise. I got a 5 lb bag of potatoes, a 3 lb bag of apples, 8 lbs of bananas, 1/4 lb of garlic, 4 lbs of sweet potatoes and a pineapple for $22.00. All just as fresh as it would have been in the grocery store. We got dairy this week too--7 gallons raw milk and 5 1/2 lb packages of raw cheese for $85.00. I don't think the drive would be too far for you. Coming from the beach, we take 95 past downtown and get off on Edgewood. It's not even a mile or so off the exit. The pickup for the United order once a month isn't much further than that. It's been worth the drive for us...haven't been to the grocery store in over 2 weeks!! Let's plan a beach day soon...it's so nice out!!

      Delete