Friday, February 3, 2012

Portabello Mushroom and Beet Greens Frittata

Pin It

It's not unusual in my house to be up hours before the sun.  Last Saturday, I was not only up way before any normal person should have been, but I was craving beet greens!  I know...weird.  I have been eating them like crazy since I learned that they taste just like spinach. 

So, with my wide-awake, six-year-old by my side, my trusty chef's knife and flashlight, off to the front yard I went to clip a bowl full of beet greens and broccoli from the garden.



A favorite way to slip some veggies into the family's morning routine is with a frittata.  The kids like to call it breakfast pizza.  It's basically the Italian version of an omelet without all the crazy flipping and rolling.  I can't make an omelet that looks pretty to save my life!  I've finally just gotten over it, embraced my Italian heritage and decided frittatas sound much more fancy anyways.

They are so easy to make too!

PORTABELLO MUSHROOM AND BEET GREENS FRITTATA RECIPE

1/2 Medium Sweet Onion
1 c. Broccoli, chopped
3 c. Beet Greens, chopped

1/4 c. Green Onions, chopped
5-6 Baby Portabello Mushrooms
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
6 Eggs
1/4 c. Milk
1.5 tsp Sea Salt
Pepper to Taste

Preheat oven to 350.

Chop veggies into bit size pieces.  Add olive oil to oven safe saute pan.  Over medium heat, saute onions until starting to become transparent and broccoli turns bright green.


Add the rest of the veggies, 1 tsp salt and pepper.  Cook until softened.  Remove from heat.

Whisk eggs, 1/2 tsp salt and milk.  Distribute veggies evenly through pan.  Pour egg mixture over veggies.  Roll pan around making sure the egg covers evenly.  Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until frittata begins to brown on top.


Happy Eating!





No comments:

Post a Comment