Friday, February 10, 2012

My Dry, Crusty House

Pin It


Do you ever find yourself stuck on the hamster wheel of doing??  You are not alone, because I am so there with you right now!!

Sometimes, the world just gets a hold of me, and I get all wrapped up in my crazy obsessions that end up consuming my every, waking moment.  Just coming off my daughter's birthday week, Valentine's straight ahead, Spring Carnivals at school, lots of volunteer commitments, mixed in with the everyday running, cooking, cleaning and the mile long to-do list...this girl's head is spinning faster than Superman on caffeine!! 

As if that's not enough, to compound the insanity, I have a problem with perfection.  The main problem being that I will never be able to obtain it, but secondly, I just can't seem to shake it.  It's like a nine-month-old kid that's crawling and is just learning to pull-up.  It follows you around all over the house just looking for your attention.  If ignored long enough, it gets louder.  Then, give it five seconds to catch up, and it's wrapped around your leg with a death grip screaming for you to just pick it up!

I've tried hiding around the corner, playing peek-a-boo, hobbling along on one leg while dragging it around....it won't go away!!!   Then, when I do pick it up to make it happy, I find myself doing everything else with one hand.  My kids, the hubby, my responsibilities all get half of my effort, because I'm too busy tending to my addiction to perfection.  Which, of course, leads to all kinds of strife in the house. 

Our memory verse for last week's bible study was Proverbs 17:1.  Boy, you have got to love some wise ol' Soloman...

Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife.  Proverbs 17:1 (NIV)

Here's how the Message puts it...

A meal of bread and water in contented peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.  Proverbs 17:1 (The Message)


So what if I let go of perfection, and the house gets a little crusty (i.e everything isn't done perfectly)?  I would rather a peaceful house than one where Mama is stressed out and ain't happy. 

And you all know, If Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy!!!  LOL!!

PS...Here's an update.  God has a sense of humor...just because I decide I'm going to embrace this for the weekend, He sends me some fun!  My bread starts rising and does some wacky stuff.  This would have been melt down city in my not so crusty house :).  Little man says, "Mommy, just cook it, it's crazy bread!".  Well then, crazy bread it is :)!


Then, to add to the fun, it's rainy and cold, so I was bringing in our little seedlings to keep them happy.  The tray breaks, and this is what's left of the dirt in the pots.  The rest (including the dirt from the 10 missing pots not shown here) was scattered from one end of the foyer to the other.  I wish I had taken a pic!!!  Luckily, we were able to re-pot the plants.  Did I freak out?...nope, there's dirt in my grout and I am ok...whew!  
 
What are you all up to this weekend while your house, or to do list :),  gets dry and crusty??

Happy Friday!! 







No comments:

Post a Comment