Wednesday, January 25, 2012

All Things in Moderation

Pin It

Every Sunday, the hubby and I have the privledge of teaching an incredible group of 4th graders in a Sunday school class together.  I have to tell you, this group of kids is such a perfect match-up for the two of us.  I just look forward to seeing their smiling faces every week and hearing all their crazy stories that they just can't wait to share.  They love to enlighten us on just what life as a 4th grader is really all about.  I love their energy and the unconditional joy that just floods out of them.  It really is a great experience every week! 

Each month, we study a "Virtue".  This month was Self-Control. Forget about the kids, I REALLY needed to hear this one!  I don't know how many times I catch myself in a situation that is quickly spiraling to a yucky place and can't be stopped unless some self-control takes the wheel.

I almost fell over when the bible verse related to this week's lesson was revealed.  Sorry, Miss Jen, you caught me...I didn't look at the lesson beforehand and did some winging it this week :)  Imagine my surprise!!

If you find honey, eat just enough-
too much of it, and you will vomit.
Proverbs 25:16

I had no idea that was in the bible!!  Of course this verse is about much more than just eating too much, which is my main downfall in life.  But, the basis is-too much of a good thing goes in, and bad stuff comes regurgitating out. 

Take for instance technology.  I spend lots of time on the computer.  The computer is a good thing.  I use it to work, blog, keep up with friends, run the household, read the bible...all kinds of good things.  Entirely too often, I find myself sitting on the thing for hours still doing "good" things, but something weird starts to happen.  It's like a hypnotic trance, and I can't focus on anything else but the pretty flashing screen in front of my face.  A kid or a hubby will come ask me a question, and I don't hear them.  Or, if I do hear them, the trance is broken, my head goes whipping around, and, 99.95% of the time, a big, fat "WHAT?!?!?!" comes erupting out of my mouth.  Yes folks, it might as well be vomit. 

Luckily, God's grace cleans up the big mess on the floor (which I am so grateful for, because doing it myself would make me gag), but that doesn't mean I should keep on like nothing just happened.  It just means I need some fruit, and not the find that grows on trees. 

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Galations 5:22-23

Yep, that should cover it.  So, instead of sweeping my little mishap under the carpet, and hoping next time I can muster up a little self-control on my own, I will be praying for some of that sweet, ripe fruit! 





No comments:

Post a Comment