Thursday, January 12, 2012

Trick the Kids Mac n' Cheese

Pin It



I don't know about you guys, but tricking my kids is just plain old fun.  I figure for all the insanity they put me through, the fact that my waist will never go back where it belongs, and the permanent loss of brain function I seem to suffer from since having kids, it's my God given right to pull the wool over their eyes every once in a while.

So, if you're feeling like silently getting your kids back for whatever shenanigans they pulled today, you will be needing this recipe. It's so much fun to watch them eat, ask for seconds and have no idea they are eating squash!  I've served this to some of their pickiest friends, and they never suspected a thing!  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my kids and couldn't imagine life without them (and their friends), but I have to get my jollies somewhere :)  If deceiving the little rug-rats (I mean angels :) ) isn't your thing, for those of you that garden and are up to your eyeballs in winter squash (which is so never a bad thing), it's also a great way to use them up!

TRICK THE KIDS MAC N' CHEESE RECIPE

2 Tbsp Organic Butter
2 Tbsp Flour (I used fresh milled hard white and sift it to remove the bran so my sauce isn't too grainy.  Do the same if you are using store bought wheat)
2 c. Organic Milk (2% or whole)
1 Tsp Sea Salt
Pepper to taste
1 c. Fresh Grated Organic Cheddar Cheese (buy the white...yellow cheese is dyed that color)
1 1/2 c. Pureed Butternut Squash (you can use any winter squash you'd like, even pumpkin works)
10 oz Organic Whole Wheat Pasta

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat.  Once the butter melts, add the flour and stir.


Let it cook for a few minutes, just to get rid of the flour taste.  Add the milk while continuously whisking.

 

Bring to a slow rolling boil and drop the heat to low (don't stop whisking).  Add salt and pepper.   Once the mixture settles down and stops boiling, add your cheese.


Whisk the cheese in thoroughly and then add the squash.



Toss with cooked noodles.


I like to throw in some steamed broccoli too.  My kids love broccoli, but cheese sauce just makes everything better!!


 

Happy Cooking!!

Make sure you come back and share how fun it was to watch your kids eat veggies and not 
even know it ;)!!




3 comments:

  1. looks deliciousssssss! thanks so much for the wonderful recipe!!! :D (P.S. I love that brand of pasta!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! We've tried a couple of brands of pasta and that seems to be a favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete