Thursday, January 26, 2012

Fall Harvest Chicken Salad

Pin It

Saturdays have unintentionally become our "food-centered day".  We are that weird family that still wakes up at 6am even though it's Saturday.  I'm thinking it's mostly my fault.  I have this crazy notion that if I am not up at the crack of dawn, I will sleep away my life.  So, before the sun peers over the horizon, I am in the kitchen banging around pots and pans making all kinds of wake-up-the-house ruckus.  One of these days, I will learn to cause a little less sleep disturbance when I wake up, and, just maybe, I could get one of those quiet mornings you see in magazines where the woman is sitting in her posh, cushy chair cupping her coffee mug with two hands, eyes closed...blah, blah, blah.  I guess I'd just rather be cooking. 

Breakfast usually leads to a stroll through the front yard garden, some harvesting, chatting with the neighbors, maybe a trip to the community garden, more harvesting, more cooking, more eating, the farmer's market, more cooking, a little more cooking and a bunch more eating.  That's it...a day in the Big Life :)

Last Saturday pretty much followed that schedule.  I got up with this overwhelming craving for beet greens, so off to the garden I went with a flashlight and my giant chef's knife to go collect some greens for our morning Sauteed Beet Greens and Portabello Mushroom Frittata.  I can't even begin to imagine what my neighbors think of me.  The kids probably think we're that house you need to walk on the opposite side of the road and run by.  Just kidding...they all love us...the kids even come inside and play with our kids :)  I will have to get that recipe posted soon...it was so yummy!



We wandered out to the garden after breakfast and harvested some carrots and beets.  That's when my brain starts churning..." a little chicken leftover in the refrigerator, chop up some carrots, a little beets, greek yogurt...", mid thought, I find myself running off to the kitchen, pots flying, pans banging...I have got to make me some chicken salad!!!




It turned out so good, I just have to share!  This would be a beautiful dish to serve at a Lady's Luncheon or Baby Shower!!  Although, the hubby really enjoyed it too!!



FALL (Winter in Florida) HARVEST CHICKEN SALAD RECIPE

1 Candy Cane Beet, diced
1 Carrot, diced
2 Tbsp Green Onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp Chives, finely chopped
2 c. Chicken, shredded (I used organic, free-range--the taste is worth the price)
1/8 tsp Dried Tarragon (a small pinch goes along way)
1 tsp Sea Salt
Pepper to taste
1/4 c. Organic Greek Yogurt
1/4 c. Homemade Mayo
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar

Put all your veggies and chicken in a large bowl.  In a seperate container (I like to just throw it in a mason jar and shake) mix together the remainder of the ingredients.  Pour your dressing into the bowl and combine well. 

This recipe can be made ahead of time and refrigerated overnight.   Note: The beets may run if set overnight, so if you're serving this at a party or something and not looking for pink chicken salad, skip this step.

Happy Eating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment